fbpx

Gates of Hope
March 24, 2021|Short Story

Gates of Hope

Gates of Hope

The darkness fell behind William, while he slowly walked down the path back home. He tried to recall his steps, but the dense clouds covered everything around him, and his surroundings turned into a maze he couldn’t remember.

Just a few hours ago, sunlight illuminated the beautiful landscaping of the Andean mountains—now he was only able to see a few steps in front of him.

I’m lost, he thought, noticing that the heavy mist stood lifeless on top of him. I’ll have to find shelter.

Nevertheless, the first drops of rain fell on his forehead and his possibilities for survival diminished.

The mountain is treacherous to those who are not aware of its signs. The day was supposed to be relaxing, although William had almost forgotten all the troubles awaiting him back home.

Perhaps this was the way the universe answered his prayers. After all, William had been repeating in his mind, over and over again, his desire to get away from his problems. Life was giving him what he wanted in the least expected way.

William moved quickly through the branches and bushes of an unfamiliar forest. Trying in vain to find shelter from the rain. To his surprise, the hill had prepared an abandoned tunnel for him. There, he could hide from the rain… although he was not the only one seeking shelter.

Even in a forest so close to a city, nature laws expanded its domain. Unknowingly, William found peace when he saw the perfectly circular cave entrance at the distance, and without consideration for his safety he entered it.

The tunnel looked like a human construction without an apparent function. It seemed like a pipeline to prevent landslides, William thought unsure of his imagination. The scarce sunlight only reached a few meters inside the artificial cave, beyond it one could only see an endless dark void. Even the sounds of his step seemed different, from what he was used to, as he walked inside.

William did not intend to inspect the cave, staying only at the entrance to cover himself from the rain—trying not to look at the depth that seemed to call his name. It was impossible for him to remain calm without knowing that something else could be found in the dark. So he took his cell phone and turned on his flashlight.

Lying against the tunnel wall was a creature with bare skin and long thin arms—with deep dark circles around its eyes. William blinked, holding his breath and noticed with surprise that the figure disappeared.

I have to get out of here, he told himself, turning to see the heavy rain falling outside the cave.

“Where are you going?”

The deep voice came suddenly. William lost control of his body, he even tried to scream, but fear kept him frozen for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, he regained his breath and slowly turned to look inside the cave.

Nothing…

It’s all in my head, he thought to reassure himself. As his body stopped trembling.

A pair of glowing eyes appeared in the tunnel. William graved his cell phone to illuminate the darkness, but he couldn’t see the lurking creature.

I should have a signal by now, he thought while looking at the screen of his cell phone. When a loud sound, like the bursting of two rocks, came from the deepness of the tunnel.

I rather get wet by the rain, William thought and turned to walk out of the cave. Then, he saw a panther for the first time. The animal lurked slowly under the rain—driving its powerful paws on the mud with every step.

William’s mind went blank, he finally managed to lose focus on everything that wasn’t behind the menacing eyes of the beast. A strange sensation, almost like a wave took everything with it, just like the feeling of having lost everything. The only thing left was right in front of him.

Without consideration, William ran back into the tunnel—the darkness absorbed him completely and after a few steps the ground disappeared under his feet. The fall didn’t seem to have an end, meanwhile William couldn’t imagine what would happen when his body crashed at the bottom. Somehow, the only thing he could see was the present.

William flew through a perpetual darkness; floating on an endless void. Until, to his surprise, his back made contact with a wall that gradually slowed his fall, and safely let him at the foot of a stone slide.

There, a brightly shining light blinded him for an instant. William looked at the source of radiance and understood, this was the reason why his ancestors hid the most precious treasures in the heart of a volcano.

Knowledge engulfed him like a cascade of wisdom crashing over his head.

William’s eyes widened when the rescue team secured him to the helicopter’s stretcher. The search party had been looking for him for two weeks, although for him it felt just like a couple of hours.

Few know the secrets of our ancestors, and despite his attempts, William wasn’t able to find the portal’s door again.

147 comments

Sebastian Iturralde

Fiction blogger—citizen of this beautiful planet, eternal lover of artistic creation and literature. Certain that the creative energy comes from nature.

147 comments

• May 12, 2021 at 5:57 am

Very engrossing

• May 14, 2021 at 5:44 pm

It is a pleasure to know that you are enjoying my stories.

• May 12, 2021 at 3:15 pm

Great story. Had fun reading it. Very interesting ending.

• May 14, 2021 at 5:51 pm

It’s good to know you think that way. The truth is that I enjoyed writing it. I hope to see you back soon.

• May 12, 2021 at 6:20 pm

Your Blog is so polished and professional and this one is written suspenseful! Good luck to you and do what you feel in your heart of course!
    God bless you!

• May 14, 2021 at 6:00 pm

Your positive energy means a lot to me, whenever I find it I want to keep it forever. I hope to see you back soon.

• May 14, 2021 at 6:23 pm

How are you? Thank you for that compliment and I’m happy to hear I had some positive impact on you! I did immediately see the fine effort and quality in your blog site!

These are crazy and even sad to frightening times and any insight, Truth or inspiration we can afford another or share is critically needed because people will be giving up if we are truly in End Time which I do believe we are now; without a doubt! But eternity awaits for all and where in that retirement will each of us be is the biggest question and motivation for me now; I see my mistakes and sins but I know though I’m a fallen broken being I have a better heart than that, and see that I don’t want to waste it or lose my opportunity to be eternally happy and with God!

If I can help in some way just let me know. You can feel free to email me at my home page listed email address as well; if that will be better for any reason!

God bless you.
      Lawrence

• John Muto Ono p'Lajur
    May 13, 2021 at 6:28 am

This is even more owe full to read than my post on northern Uganda, aSebestian

• May 14, 2021 at 6:18 pm

My intention is simply to entertain my readers even for a moment. Thank you for your kind words. I hope to see you back soon!

• May 13, 2021 at 7:10 am

Thank you for sharing your writing. I enjoyed the ideas, but did find it difficult to follow exactly where the story was going at some points. Might be a quirk of this particular story and your writing style. If so great! Our maybe a bit of editing would have helped clear up the narrative gems a bit. 😊

Keep on writing!

• May 14, 2021 at 6:21 pm

I agree, the truth is that I’m leaving aside certain aspects that should be improved. I’m glad to know that you care enough to let me know, that takes courage in this time of little tolerance. Thank you for your advice, I will take it to heart. I hope to see you back and check on my writing.

• Shug
    May 14, 2021 at 10:48 pm

I love the way the story unfolds.

• May 16, 2021 at 6:11 pm

I’m very glad to know that you enjoyed it. Hope to see you next week for more stories.

• May 15, 2021 at 9:59 am

Thank you for reading my blogs Try like you do to be interesting for my readers .

• May 16, 2021 at 6:23 pm

That is the most important thing, helping others to have a good time. We’ll continue reading each other to share the inspiration, I hope.

• May 15, 2021 at 10:16 pm

It was cool👍👍

• May 16, 2021 at 7:16 pm

It’s nice to know that you enjoyed it, I’ll have more stories soon.

• May 16, 2021 at 12:40 pm

You are a great writer.

• May 16, 2021 at 7:35 pm

I appreciate your recognition, but it’s enough for me to see you return for more stories.

• May 19, 2021 at 4:21 am

Great one.

• May 19, 2021 at 8:47 am

I appreciate it and thank you for posting. I hope you can come back for my next story.

• May 19, 2021 at 2:05 pm

Good stuff, Sebastian. Thanks for sharing your gift.

• May 21, 2021 at 8:38 am

How nice to know that you liked my story. It’s a pleasure for me to share the fruit of my craft.

• May 21, 2021 at 2:39 am

It’s true that our ancestors open doors of hope for us, they can be in any form, but we have to find them. Great written.., thanks for it.

• May 21, 2021 at 11:28 am

Thank you for your kind words. I hope that we continue finding doors that remain undiscovered.

• May 22, 2021 at 12:23 am

We must continue to finding undiscovered doors until our death, because we have to solve some mystery in our daily life.

• May 21, 2021 at 1:48 pm

I think you are a storyteller extraordinaire. I enjoy meeting fellow Christians. Thanks for following tgifmasterminds.com

• May 24, 2021 at 9:52 am

Thanks, I really enjoy writing. The pleasure was all mine and I hope to see you back soon.

• May 22, 2021 at 10:29 pm

This is great writing and the realm of the unknown is distant but far at the same time. You have a gift for short stories.

• May 24, 2021 at 10:43 am

Thank you Christine, I’m very happy to know that you’re enjoying my stories.

• May 23, 2021 at 6:02 am

Hello Sebastian and thank you for the like. Thoroughly enjoyed your story, it gripped me through the lines. I was not disappointed in the ending, as over the years i have read a great number of short stories – decidedly my favorite! Dostoevsky being one those authors, absolutely brilliant. Many authors use this style you have and I find it leaves me (each to their own) free to use the one gift we all have – imagination. Well done and keep up the excellent and tastefully written works. Peter

• May 24, 2021 at 10:55 am

Hello Peter, it is an honor to be mentioned in the same paragraph as Dostoevsky. You are too kind! I hope my future stories live up to your expectations.

• Roberta Dennis
    May 25, 2021 at 1:03 am

Hello Sebastian. Thank you so much for your support. Please forgive me for thinking your Blog looks so Dark. But, you have many followers and I hope this encourages you to be Positive. GOD BLESS.

• May 29, 2021 at 9:21 am

Roberta, thank you for your comment. The truth is that the light-over-dark theme of my blog is to protect the eyes of my readers; it took me time to understand the damage of excessive brightness. However, my words are positive and filled with the love that transcends through me.

• May 26, 2021 at 12:45 am

Incredible! I love the mystery at the end.. was it a dream? Was it an experience shown by ancestors, but only for a brief time? The fables he’s heard make you wonder- could it have been real? Fun to read, you leave me wanting more, as usual! I want to try writing fiction myself… any tips? \

• May 29, 2021 at 10:03 am

Mel, I see that you’re enjoying my stories. Writing fiction is easy… you just have to let your imagination run wild… of course mine was always a bit more volatile than that of the people I’ve known.

• May 27, 2021 at 2:40 am

Great story, very unexpected ending.
    Hugs

• May 29, 2021 at 1:43 pm

David, you’re too kind. I hope my next story is also of your liking.

• May 27, 2021 at 6:23 am

Beautifully written story.

• May 29, 2021 at 2:08 pm

Skittz, I’m glad you enjoyed it. Remember that my entire blog is full of fiction, please enjoy your visit.

• June 3, 2021 at 12:42 am

“…the heavy mist stood lifeless on top of him.” Great line! Interesting read. Thanks for liking my blog post, I appreciate it!

• June 5, 2021 at 7:44 am

Cheryl, thanks for stopping by. Beautiful horses by the way. I hope you have time to do the full walkthrough of my fiction blog. Maybe you will find something inspiring.