fbpx

Gates of Hope
March 24, 2021|Short Story

Gates of Hope

Gates of Hope

The darkness fell behind William, while he slowly walked down the path back home. He tried to recall his steps, but the dense clouds covered everything around him, and his surroundings turned into a maze he couldn’t remember.

Just a few hours ago, sunlight illuminated the beautiful landscaping of the Andean mountains—now he was only able to see a few steps in front of him.

I’m lost, he thought, noticing that the heavy mist stood lifeless on top of him. I’ll have to find shelter.

Nevertheless, the first drops of rain fell on his forehead and his possibilities for survival diminished.

The mountain is treacherous to those who are not aware of its signs. The day was supposed to be relaxing, although William had almost forgotten all the troubles awaiting him back home.

Perhaps this was the way the universe answered his prayers. After all, William had been repeating in his mind, over and over again, his desire to get away from his problems. Life was giving him what he wanted in the least expected way.

William moved quickly through the branches and bushes of an unfamiliar forest. Trying in vain to find shelter from the rain. To his surprise, the hill had prepared an abandoned tunnel for him. There, he could hide from the rain… although he was not the only one seeking shelter.

Even in a forest so close to a city, nature laws expanded its domain. Unknowingly, William found peace when he saw the perfectly circular cave entrance at the distance, and without consideration for his safety he entered it.

The tunnel looked like a human construction without an apparent function. It seemed like a pipeline to prevent landslides, William thought unsure of his imagination. The scarce sunlight only reached a few meters inside the artificial cave, beyond it one could only see an endless dark void. Even the sounds of his step seemed different, from what he was used to, as he walked inside.

William did not intend to inspect the cave, staying only at the entrance to cover himself from the rain—trying not to look at the depth that seemed to call his name. It was impossible for him to remain calm without knowing that something else could be found in the dark. So he took his cell phone and turned on his flashlight.

Lying against the tunnel wall was a creature with bare skin and long thin arms—with deep dark circles around its eyes. William blinked, holding his breath and noticed with surprise that the figure disappeared.

I have to get out of here, he told himself, turning to see the heavy rain falling outside the cave.

“Where are you going?”

The deep voice came suddenly. William lost control of his body, he even tried to scream, but fear kept him frozen for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, he regained his breath and slowly turned to look inside the cave.

Nothing…

It’s all in my head, he thought to reassure himself. As his body stopped trembling.

A pair of glowing eyes appeared in the tunnel. William graved his cell phone to illuminate the darkness, but he couldn’t see the lurking creature.

I should have a signal by now, he thought while looking at the screen of his cell phone. When a loud sound, like the bursting of two rocks, came from the deepness of the tunnel.

I rather get wet by the rain, William thought and turned to walk out of the cave. Then, he saw a panther for the first time. The animal lurked slowly under the rain—driving its powerful paws on the mud with every step.

William’s mind went blank, he finally managed to lose focus on everything that wasn’t behind the menacing eyes of the beast. A strange sensation, almost like a wave took everything with it, just like the feeling of having lost everything. The only thing left was right in front of him.

Without consideration, William ran back into the tunnel—the darkness absorbed him completely and after a few steps the ground disappeared under his feet. The fall didn’t seem to have an end, meanwhile William couldn’t imagine what would happen when his body crashed at the bottom. Somehow, the only thing he could see was the present.

William flew through a perpetual darkness; floating on an endless void. Until, to his surprise, his back made contact with a wall that gradually slowed his fall, and safely let him at the foot of a stone slide.

There, a brightly shining light blinded him for an instant. William looked at the source of radiance and understood, this was the reason why his ancestors hid the most precious treasures in the heart of a volcano.

Knowledge engulfed him like a cascade of wisdom crashing over his head.

William’s eyes widened when the rescue team secured him to the helicopter’s stretcher. The search party had been looking for him for two weeks, although for him it felt just like a couple of hours.

Few know the secrets of our ancestors, and despite his attempts, William wasn’t able to find the portal’s door again.

146 comments

Sebastian Iturralde

Just a citizen of this beautiful planet, eternal lover of artistic creation and letters; with the certainty that the creative energy comes from nature.

146 comments

• April 26, 2021 at 9:49 am

A stimulating read.

• April 26, 2021 at 12:22 pm

Understand you like my “Kleshas”. Good knowing someone read it. Thanks.

• Roberta Dennis
    April 26, 2021 at 6:39 pm

Thank you so much for your support! GOD BLESS You

• May 2, 2021 at 10:07 am

We’re here to support each other. I hope to see you back soon for more short stories.

• April 28, 2021 at 1:57 am

Excellent read, which would certainly appeal to teenagers. Well done.
    Regards, Phil

• April 29, 2021 at 9:51 am

I appreciate it, Phil. I’ll look for them and share my stories.

• Peter
    April 28, 2021 at 7:29 am

What I like is the comparison between what life looks like, as compared to the possibility of an eternity apart from light and safety.

I think that William only thought he wanted an escape, what he really needed was some perspective.

God offers light and love, especially when are not looking for that.

• April 29, 2021 at 9:52 am

True, we just need to be open and expect the light when it shows up.

• April 29, 2021 at 8:43 am

For all time sake, Take me and you for example, we both make post right. But what is different from each other is that we have different styles and you wanna know what’s better than style. Your Stories Are, How do you get so good at this 🙂
    If you don’t know who i am, my name is charles and just like you i make post, but mine are daily and my mission is to ensure that everyone can be educated in the best way, in another words I Make sure high school and college students are well educated. have a nice day.

• Annie Berger
    April 29, 2021 at 9:04 pm

Beautifully written tale as you caught my interest right from the beginning and held it to the end. Keep on writing more!

• May 2, 2021 at 10:08 am

I’m glad you enjoyed my short story. I’ll try to make more like it soon, see you next time.

• May 1, 2021 at 8:50 pm

Nice website. Thanks for visiting mine : https://bit.ly/3vIQWTx

• May 2, 2021 at 10:09 am

It was a pleasure, and I hope you’re enjoying my short stories. I’ll be posting more next week.

• May 2, 2021 at 1:42 am

Awesome.. good to know u.. appreciate u reading blog n liking it.. spread the word

• May 2, 2021 at 10:10 am

I’m glad you enjoyed my short story. We’re here to help each other, see you back soon.

• May 2, 2021 at 8:34 am

Nice narrative! Carried out so well. Enjoyed reading!

• May 2, 2021 at 10:11 am

I appreciate your comment and I’m happy to know you enjoyed my story. I hope to see you back soon.

• May 3, 2021 at 1:46 am

Different, I liked it.

• May 4, 2021 at 4:05 pm

Makes me happy to know you liked it. I’ll try to come up with more stories like it in the near future.

• May 3, 2021 at 10:37 pm

I like how you post in Spanish and the English translation. You might enable me to brush up on my Spanish.

• May 4, 2021 at 4:30 pm

That would be great, you won’t only let your imagination free but also brush up your Spanish.

• May 5, 2021 at 7:07 am

Unique post! 🙂
    Like this..

• May 5, 2021 at 11:25 am

It makes me happy to know you liked it. I’ll come up with more. See you back soon.

• May 5, 2021 at 6:06 pm

“Hope forces and influences Wishes come True
    brining us through the darkness into lightness respossible for us
    surviving and conquering all and whatever challenging us.” _-Van Prince

• May 6, 2021 at 2:46 am

A few typos. But an interesting story. What is the point of the story? What is the protagonist’s motivation? Why is he in the Andean mountains? Back story is important. I’ve always found it the most interesting part of any story. The little details make story interesting to the reader. I remember what my godfather and writing mentor told me, “Rewrite, rewrite, rewrite; and always think of the audience.”

• May 7, 2021 at 2:06 pm

I too found the story intriguing. I write novels, SF, and Fantasy. Your story shows great promise. You have great imagination. Except for so e minor continuity problems, it’s a good story. My personal opinion, It needs expanding iti a full novel, with the hinted at characters fleshed out. All in all though, it was a good read.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

• May 11, 2021 at 4:01 pm

Thanks Chief, I’ll keep it in my mind. For now I’m just glad you enjoyed it. See you back soon.

• May 9, 2021 at 6:42 am

I like the story.theres thrill.i can imagine how can he escape from this beast or can he able to keep the beast calmly.

• May 11, 2021 at 4:39 pm

Thanks, It makes me happy to know you liked it. There are some beasts we can’t control.

• May 11, 2021 at 9:27 am

You draw a picture with words!

• May 11, 2021 at 2:04 pm

Well done. I love the bit of being in the present and then losing the porthole. I feel a compelling story with spiritual insights coming from you. And of course I expect a signed copy in the first edition

• May 11, 2021 at 4:55 pm

It’s good to know you enjoyed it. Of course, I just hope someday I’ll become a print published author.

• Enjoying my blog fiction?

Author's Message
    This short story has been carefully crafted with inspiration I got from the Andes' highlands.
    Language Switcher
    Enjoyed my craft?
    Patreon
    You could buy me a coffee

Welcome to RelatoCorto.com

Sebastian's Blog Fiction

Here you'll find all the author's creations in English and Spanish. Also his weekly stories in different genres: action and adventure, fantasy, romancescience fiction and thriller. Enjoy your visit and let your imagination run wild.

%d bloggers like this: